The Relationship Between The SDGS & AfCFTA
- The purpose and strategic objectives of the SDGs and the AfCFTA are indivisible. The SDGs are about eradicating poverty, protecting our planet and they are about prosperity for all.
- The AfCFTA is broadly about eradicating poverty, through inclusive growth, sustainable jobs and sustainable industrial development overall.
- Both the SDGs and the AfCFTA are bold and ambitious initiatives, they are transformative at their core, they are about enlarging choices and opportunities for human development, they are about paradigm shifts and business ‘’as unusual’’.
- Implemented effectively, both the AfCFTA and the SDGs are potentially game changers when it comes to sustainable development of Africa, and a brighter future for the continent and its people.
- Cross-border trade in Africa is dominated by women, and dismantling the barriers to intra-African trade as the AfCFTA seeks to do, will provide the opportunity for million of women on the continent.
- The AfCFTA and the SDGs are milestone initiatives and potential game-changers for Africa. The SDGs are about the World that We Want; and the AfCFTA is an important building block for the Africa that We Want.
- Most especially highlighted in this campaign, is the purpose of the AfCFTA in achieving SDG #8 - "decent work and economic growth” and #9 - "Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure”.